Posted on: November 24, 2022
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the
world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500
company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more
than 36 million working people and their families from the
financial impact of illness or injury.Unum's two distinct, but
similarly focused US businesses - Unum US and Colonial Life - are
each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical
illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the
workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has
significant US operations in Portland, Maine and Baton Rouge,
Louisiana - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is
headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field
offices nationwide.General Summary:This position performs
intermediate-level financial analysis and/or accounting
specializing in one area of Finance. The position will provide
financial analyses working individually or with others that serve
to inform and ground business decisions. Responsibilities may
include leadership and/or participation in the development of,
implementation of, and adherence to financial procedures that will
improve operations, consistency, controls, process efficiency, and
effectiveness of the functional area.Principal Duties and
- Participate in regular monthly/quarterly financial cycle.
- Prepare, verify, reconcile, and balance accounts related to the
specific financial area to maintain control and accuracy over
accounting and reporting by identifying discrepancies and their
cause and recommendations for corrective action.
- Prepare more complex financial analysis for designated area and
routine reports for manager.
- Demonstrate understanding of analysis by applying knowledge and
anticipating issues and demonstrate ownership of assigned tasks or
- Make recommendations regarding the process of creating the
assigned complex analytics as well as recommendations regarding the
results of the analytics.
- Maintain various systems and data assets that support the
specific financial areas (e.g. accounting, planning, and
administrative systems). Assumes ownership of the data in the
system or assets related to the assigned analysis.
- Partner with business areas to provide requested analysis,
information, and data.
- Maintain a specialized working knowledge in assigned tasks and
analysis of Unum's products, services and business processes
including, his/her specific business area, the issues and technical
skills required to support the area.Job Specifications
- Bachelor's degree or comparable work experience at Unum that
well prepares and qualifies the individual for the specific work to
be performed. After September 2015 a Bachelor's degree is
- Zero to three years of comparable experience
- Basic understanding of the components of multiple financial
statements and how they interact with one other
- Ability to respond quickly and positively to change.
- Developing customer service/teamwork skills within job
- Highly motivated individual able to take direction from
managers and developing skills to solve problems with little
guidance from managers.
- Ability to prioritize work while working on multiple projects
keeping track of and meeting due dates.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills related to job.
- Basic to intermediate EXCEL Skills
- General ledger systems and reporting tools experience
- Proficient in Word and PowerPoint
- Exhibit customer service skills in working with functional area
team and other resources to complete assigned work.-IN1#LI-CM1 Our
company is built on helping individuals and families, and this
starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive
balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and
resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite
fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee
professional development programs, we are committed to helping
employees live and work their best - both inside and outside the
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified
applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement,
without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national
origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or
protected veteran status.Company:Unum
Keywords: Unum, Portland , Financial Analyst, Accounting, Auditing , Portland, Maine
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!