Posted on: May 21, 2020
Job Posting End Date: 02/20Our Fortune 500 company is driving a
digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators
to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As
one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help
millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help
them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a
challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a
differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations
people have of technology at any company - not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT
professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering
focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working
in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in
our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those
who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we're excited about what's next. Join
us.General Summary:Individuals in this role provide leadership and
guidance to several agile and/or infrastructure and operations
teams supporting various business and technical capabilities,
services or functional areas of IT. They work with their team to
implement and deliver new solutions to enable, enhance or transform
business capabilities or services.
This individual is instrumental in the implementation of part of
the portfolio for a given BDH, Value Stream, or for specific
infrastructure services. They work with their manager, business
product owners, or similar relevant roles to define delivery
priorities in line with the technical, financial and people
resources available. They work within their BDH, Value Stream, or
IT counterpart to develop business partner relationships,
effectively communicates, and successfully executes IT plans in
support of the agreed goals and objectives.Job Specifications
- Degree or relevant technical experience
- Has 8+ years experience in an IT field, or equivalent relevant
- Experience with tools such as Sonar, Jenkins,
- Demonstrates leadership in executing IT plans successfully that
enable technical or business capabilities and address technology or
- Strong understanding of Agile/Lean leadership principles
- Exhibits courage by taking smart risks and encouraging others
to do so; empowers innovative approaches by motivating others to be
proactive and resourceful
- Has proven and demonstrated knowledge and skills in one or more
technologies or industries
- Able to apply broad business and technology understanding of
internal and external trends and capabilities, to ensure successful
implementation of IT plans.
- Able to communicate a compelling vision and need for change
that generates excitement, enthusiasm, and commitment to the
- Demonstrates strategic and critical thinking capability
- Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that
gives them confidence in their intentions and those of the
- Understands the business case for each deliverable undertaken
and works with their manager and product owner to help ensure
benefits are realized
- Has strong planning, communication and presentation skills, and
the capability to listen and influence
Job Specifications (Preferred Skills)
- Prior management experience
- Computer science degree
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads functional areas of multiple agile teams to successfully
build, enhance, transform or support technology and/or business
services by delivering on outcomes.
- Engages in strategic planning with business and IT
stakeholders, to provide direction, guidance or recommendations on
technology and architectural considerations.
- Defines a portfolio of change and roadmap. Engages and
influences IT and business leaders to ensure the portfolio will
deliver agreed business objectives.
- Collaborates with IT leadership across various disciplines,
provides guidance, direction or recommendations to address a wide
range of business and technology needs, with an emphasis on
optimized, timely and successful delivery.
- In collaboration with their manager, initiates and influences
relationships with and between key stakeholders involved in the
management and implementation of IT plans, acts as a point of
contact for stakeholders, planners, designers, and operational
- In partnership with practice leaders, drives application of the
company's technical and architectural roadmap objectives.
- Leverages deep understanding of IT, emerging technologies, and
technical capabilities to guide and influence stakeholders and
teams in developing solutions, build, deployment, testing and
ongoing management of IT services.
- Takes bold action to ensure there is a strong, diverse talent
and leadership pipeline in place to meet aggressive business goals.
Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of
- Understands the needs of a self-organizing team
(cross-functioning, partners with the business, collaborative,
works quickly and unencumbered, be empowered and autonomous, be
able to focus on self-improvement) and supports the management
activities that make self-organization successful.
- For Agile teams, ensures that the scrum team(s) apply the best
software engineering practices including, but not limited to: test
driven development, peer reviews, continuous integration deployment
practices, unit and regression test automation, comprehensive
approach to addressing NFR, adherence to standards, comprehensive
'definition of done,' team retrospectives, etc.
- For Infrastructure and Operations teams, ensures that we
benchmark against associated services to keep service delivery and
support at an appropriate cost.
- For Infrastructure and Operations teams, responsible for end to
end management and delivery of infrastructure services.
- Understands patterns and trends that contribute to utilizing
key performance indicators and critical success factors that will
improve the performance of the organization.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this
starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive
balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and
resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite
fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee
professional development programs, we are committed to helping
employees live and work their best - both inside and outside the
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified
applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement,
without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national
origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or
protected veteran status.
Keywords: Unum, Portland , Director, DevOps, Executive , Portland, Maine
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!