Customer Service Representative I
Posted on: May 21, 2020
Job Posting End Date: 06/01Unum is a company of people serving
people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers
and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits
help protect more than 36 million working people and their families
from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three
distinct, but similarly focused US businesses - Unum US, Colonial
Life, and Starmount Life - are each a market leader in making
disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision
insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US
operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and
Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide.
Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with
over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton
Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence
for Unum in the US.General Summary:Looking for a company where you
can make an impact? As a Customer Service Representative I, you
will be the first point of contact for our inbound customers calls
and a direct representation of our brand. You will have the
rewarding job of creating exceptional customer experiences; ensure
information is accurate; and operate with empathy and
This entry-level role provides a strong foothold into an
organization and company with multiple career paths and the
environment to be your best you here.To learn more about a day in
the life of a Customer Service Representative at Unum, watch this
What we offer:
- Minimum $15.80 hourly wage
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits available on the first day
- Defined Contribution Plan along with 401K matching to help you
plan for your retirement
- Paid Time Off, holiday and leave programs
- Flexible Breaks
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Family Leave
- Employee assistance programs
- Business casual dress code
- Onsite fitness and dining facilities
- Volunteer opportunities
- Employee resource groups with a strong focus on diversity and
Work at Home Opportunities: The opportunity to work from home is
available to all Customer Service Representatives based on
eligibility and performance. To be considered for this opportunity
you must successfully complete our full-time onboarding process at
the Portland, Maine Home Office Location lasting up to 17 weeks.
All work from home employees may be required to come into the
office upon request.
Training and development: We will provide you with in-depth
knowledge of our products and a strong base for launching your
career with Unum. Our Customer Service Representative multi-level
career path means you will be recognize and promoted as you achieve
specific milestones. Other career opportunities include:
- Monthly development time and ongoing training
- Multi-level CSR Career ladder that includes advancement within
the role, mentoring, quality auditing, training, process
improvement and opportunity for leadership roles within the
What we expect from you:
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to customer inquiries with timely and accurate
- Ability to work a regular assigned shift between the hours of
8am-8pm Eastern, Monday through Friday (no shifts end after 8pm and
no required weekends).
- Follow all documented processes/workflow to enhance customer
service and reduce customer effort/operating efficiency.
- Utilize resources and tools to accurately respond to customer
- Ensure privacy of our customers remains the utmost
- Meet the expectations of the quality/productivity
- Demonstrate a passion for the values outlined in the We are
Unum value statements.
- Successful completion of Contact Center training program,
including demonstrating on phone proficiency and passing required
- Attendance in accordance with Contact Center attendance
- Customer Service Representative I must successfully complete
the Contact Center training program and demonstrate basic
proficiency in servicing inbound phone calls after training.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior relevant experience, military service and/or college
- Demonstrated customer service experience and/or experience in a
customer service-oriented environment.
- Strong customer service orientation with demonstrated
commitment to meet/exceed customer needs.
- Ability to maintain reliable and predictable attendance.
- Strong verbal/written communication and interpersonal
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, structured
environment, handling large call volumes.
- Computer proficiency essential.
- Self-directed with the ability to perform both as part of team
- Ability to adapt and work effectively in a continuously
- Consistently demonstrate a high level of professionalism
through a strong work ethic that positively influences the work
habits of the team.
- Detail oriented with a focus on quality and consistently
Requirements for remote workers:
- Must be located in the Portland, Maine area and able to train
on site before moving to the remote location
- Must be serviceable by a broadband cable or fiber optic
internet service provider
- A separate, quiet dedicated work space must be established at
remote site for the purpose of performing work duties. This area
must be maintained in a safe condition, free from all hazards
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and
development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a
culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified
applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement,
without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national
origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or
protected veteran status.
Keywords: Unum, Portland , Customer Service Representative I, Hospitality & Tourism , Portland, Maine
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!