Posted on: January 7, 2022
PORTLAND PUBLIC SCHOOLSPAYROLL SPECIALIST SUMMARY DESCRIPTIONThe
Payroll Specialist will coordinate with the other Payroll
Specialist to perform the day-to-day tasks of processing payroll,
manage employee records, and ensure prompt payment of payroll
vendor invoices for the Portland Public School System. Important
attributes include attention to detail and the ability to relay
complex information in an understandable fashion to a diverse group
of employees with various levels of knowledge.ESSENTIAL JOB
- Perform daily payroll department operations, including review
and entry of time and attendance forms and timely filing of all
- Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are
processed accurately and timely
- Preparation, reconciliation and timely filing of all payroll
reports (bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually)
- Work closely with HR to update employee records for new
employees, retirements/terminations, benefit elections, pay rate
changes, general ledger allocations, and changes in non-financial
data (e.g change of address)
- Communicates with employees, internal and external parties in a
respectful and professional manner and respond to inquiries in a
- Assist with budget and audit preparation as assigned.
- Prepares payment requests for benefits (medical, dental,
retirement ...) and withholding taxes.
- Performs and reviews the input of time sheets/time cards and
maintenance of employee records in the integrated payroll
application, including proper account coding and distribution.
- Assists employees, timekeepers, and supervisors with training,
processing issues and requests for transaction information on a
regular basis. Ensures timesheets and time cards are filed timely
(prior to the next payroll).
- Updates and maintains transaction files and databases to
reflect personnel updates/changes.
- Researches issues/discrepancies, and processes necessary
- Other duties as assigned by Accounting Manager or
designeeMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state regulations.
- Strong PC skills including proficiency in Excel, Word, Google
Suite, and various payroll and financial operating systems.
- Working knowledge of automated payroll systems, electronic time
sheets a plus ? Strong work ethic and team player.
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material
- Strong interpersonal (verbal and written) communication
- Ability to communicate with various levels of management.
- Decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing
- Ability to understand and apply current payroll guidelines,
system updates, and policy changes.
- Ability to follow, apply, interpret, and explain instructions
- Extensive attention to detailEDUCATION, TRAINING, AND
- Bachelors degree in Business or Accounting preferred but not
- 2-4 years payroll processing experience desired
- Certified Payroll Professional preferred but not required.
- Experience in bookkeeping and basic accounting concepts
- Combinations of applicable education, training, and experience,
which provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to
perform effectively in the position, will determine
salaryCERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- Certified Payroll Professional preferred
- Criminal History Records Check - Maine State fingerprint (CHRC)
authorization. Cost $70. Website:
Light physical effort may be requiredSPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
N/AOVERTIME ELIGIBLE: Yes
- Position Type:Full-timeJob Category :Support Staff >
Accounting/BookkeepingEmployer DescriptionMaine's largest school
system has 10 elementary schools, three middle schoolsand four high
schools serving nearly 7,000 students in kindergarten through grade
12and about 4,700 adult learners. The district takes full advantage
of its location in a vibrant city with a thriving arts life.
Schools draw on the resources offered by museums, theaters, local
businesses and the city's colleges and universities. Portland has a
highly trained teaching staff. Many teachers hold advanced degrees.
All of the district's teachers continue their education by pursuing
professional development activities on a regular basis.The district
provides technology to support instruction, including laptops for
each student in grades seven through 12 and wireless access at all
schools.Volunteers, parent-teacher organizations and businesses
donate generously of their time and money to the district - an
estimated 100,000 hours per year. Graduates of the Portland Public
Schools attend the country's top colleges and universities. See
www.portlandschools.org for colleges attended by recent
graduates.The Portland Public Schools gives parents an array of
program choices. The district as one of the first in the country to
offer project-based Expeditionary Learning from kindergarten
through 12th grade. High school students have access to one of the
broadest selections of Advanced Placement courses in Maine.
Qualified high school students may take up to two college courses
with tuition paid by the state. A regional arts and technology high
school provides hands-on courses in growth fields such as health
care, robotics and "green" construction. More than 60 languages are
spoken by students attending the Portland Public Schools.
Multilingual students represent about a quarter of the district's
enrollment. The district's diversity prepares all students for
their roles as world citizens. Portland residents can pursue
lifelong learning and professional success through the academic,
jobs skills and enrichment courses offered by Portland Adult
Education. Most of Portland's middle and high school students
participate actively in co-curricular activities such as athletics,
drama, music and service clubs. Portland students regularly excel
in academic and athletic competitions at the regional, state and
even national level.See a list of recent honors, awards and
recognition for the Portland Public Schools at:
www.portlandschools.org. Join Portland ME Public Schools on
Facebook. A focus on service learning-- connecting the schools to
the wider community-results in students undertaking many projects
that benefit greater Portland. Learn more about us...Equal
Opportunity EmployerPortland Public Schools is committed to
maintaining a work and learning environment free from
discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national
origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation,
marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age,
citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic
information or disability, as defined and required by state and
federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against
individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who
participate in an equal opportunity investigation.Contact
- Barbara Stoddard , HR Director
- 353 Cumberland Ave
- Portland,Maine 04101
- Phone: 207-874-8100
- Email: click here
Keywords: TrulyHired, Portland , Payroll Specialist, Human Resources , Portland, Maine
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!