Regulatory Consultant - Product Compliance
Posted on: June 19, 2022
Job Posting End Date: July 01Unum is a company of people serving
people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers
and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits
help protect more than 36 million working people and their families
from the financial impact of illness or injury.Unum's two distinct,
but similarly focused US businesses - Unum US and Colonial Life -
are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident,
critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the
workplace.Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has
significant US operations in Portland, Maine and Baton Rouge,
Louisiana - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is
headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field
offices nationwide.General Summary:This position is a high level
individual contributor role accountable for driving and
implementing the daily operations that support the Regulatory
team's core accountabilities, including product development,
legislative compliance, regulatory and product form filings,
regulatory examinations, regulatory inquiries and complaint
This role will exhibit a high degree of proficiency and skill in
reading, analyzing, and interpreting laws, rules, and regulations,
as well as other communications such as complaints and market
conduct reports, to determine impact to the company.
While recommending and assisting with implementation of appropriate
actions to maintain regulatory compliance, the incumbent will be
actively engaged in monitoring team workflow, processes, and
procedures, through day-to-day problem solving, management of
competing priorities, risk identification and assessment, timely
issue resolution, and technical coaching.
This position must interact and facilitate discussions with
government authorities, company management, sales and field
personnel, and related legal and technical resources within and
outside the company.Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responds to complex inquiries and requests from state insurance
departments, other state and federal regulators, and others both
within and outside the Enterprise.
- Researches, interprets, and applies laws, regulations, and
- Recommends appropriate actions in response to regulatory
directives, bulletins and data calls and leads regulatory report
- Provides multi-level and multi-issue consulting and advisory
services on regulatory matters.
- Serves as subject matter expert on new product development
initiatives and provides innovative drafting solutions while
maintaining compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Responsible for drafting contract text and maintaining drafting
history. Maintains awareness of industry developments in the
insurance product space.
- Negotiates complex product approvals with state departments of
- Leads efforts to investigate, obtain information, and respond
to complex consumer and insurance department complaints, and
regulatory exams or inquiries, including performing risk
assessments and identifying emerging trends or risk areas.
- Utilizes strong project management skills to lead, manage, and
deliver results for mid-to-large-size project initiatives within
established timeframes and quality measures.
- Documents, monitors, analyzes, and reports on regulatory
activity, including developing and monitoring implementation of
corrective action plans and identifying regulatory trends.
- Provides strategic coaching and leadership to business areas
and department personnel as needed to develop subject matter
expertise in support of key regulatory accountabilities.
- Summarizes and communicates issues to appropriate operational
business partners and senior leaders.
- Develops and maintains positive customer relationships, both
internal and external, as well as cultivating and maintaining
relationships with state regulators. Represents company at industry
meetings to help advance company priorities.
- Identifies and implements industry and company best
- May perform other duties as assigned.Technical Duties and
- Manages the day-to-day maintenance of SharePoint (or
equivalent) sites and technology deliverables.
- Creates organization-specific training documentation and
conducts orientations, one-on-one training sessions, and overview
of technology features and updates for the Regulatory team.Job
- Bachelor's Degree or three to five years of related business
experience plus a minimum of two years of regulatory
- Strong strategic understanding of the insurance industry and
the associated compliance and regulatory environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Adept at
flexing communication style to suit various audiences
- Excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrated proficiency in problem solving and analytical
thinking, with a results-focused orientation
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including
proven ability to manage multiple concurrent complex projects or
- Strong leadership qualities and interpersonal skills including
demonstrated ability for successful partnering and building
effective relationships across reporting levels and teams
- Strong technical skills (especially Microsoft Office Suite and
SharePoint or equivalent) and proficiency with data analytics and
- Strong, proven research skills. Adept at interpreting and
applying laws, rules and regulations and performing analysis,
anticipating barriers, and making appropriate and thoughtful
recommendations for solutions
- Proficiency in identifying, analyzing, and communicating about
potential regulatory risk areas, with the ability to provide
thoughtful input regarding remediation or mitigation
- Strong desire for continuous improvement, including
identification of opportunities for process improvement
- Self-motivated and proactive in seeking ways to add value
- Familiarity with Unum Group and its insuring subsidiaries'
products, business processes and functional areas is
preferred#LI-LM2021-IN3 Our company is built on helping individuals
and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees
to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to
the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From
our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to
employee professional development programs, we are committed to
helping employees live and work their best - both inside and
outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified
applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement,
without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national
origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or
protected veteran status.Company:Unum
Keywords: Unum, Portland , Regulatory Consultant - Product Compliance, Professions , Portland, Maine
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!