Patient Care Technician 3-Preceptor HT PORTLAND
Posted on: September 19, 2023
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Functions as part of the hemodialysis health
care team in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for
patients under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse in
accordance with FMCNA policies procedures and training and in
compliance with regulations set forth by the corporation state and
federal agencies. Responsible for the setup and operation of
hemodialysis machines. - Assist in the maintenance of a safe and
clean working environment. Supports the FMCNA commitment to the
Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and CQI Activities including
those related to patient satisfaction and actively participates in
process improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that
patients will achieve the FMC Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).
-PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:STAFF RELATED:
- Participates in the recruitment process for new clinical
- Assists with clinical orientation and on-going training of all
appropriate direct patient care personnel as well as the
orientation of all facility staff to FMS.
- Functions as preceptor in direct patient care training programs
to support the delivery of quality patient care as per the
standards set forth in the FMS Clinical Services Clinical Training
Manual(s) FMS policies and procedures and FMS training
- Delivers and maintains on-going competency evaluations/audits
to ensure ongoing performance of other PCT's.
- Collaborates with the Clinical Manager and Education
Coordinator in driving FMS quality standards through education
regarding all ESRD regulatory and legal requirements and the
practice of Continuous Quality Improvement.
- Assists in training of applicable direct patient care staff on
- Provides coaching and developmental support to applicable
clinical and facility staff.Education/Communication:
- Partners with RN and IDT staff to educate the appropriate
personnel regarding the integrity and safety of the facility water
systems as allowed by local regulations.
- Partners with RN and IDT staff to educate the appropriate
personnel regarding the maintenance of environmental integrity
including patient and staff safety of the facility.
- Ensures a strong communication process between the Clinical
Managers Education Coordinators direct patient care staff and all
support staff at the facility regarding appropriate training and
organizational development programs and initiatives.
- Participates in implementing and potentially designs creative
educational programs for PCT staff including contests and other
- Collaborates with Clinical Managers and Education Coordinators
in the scheduling and implementation of training programs and
processes as directed.
- Monitors processes in the delivery of patient care through
regular Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities.
- Ensures all FMS business policies procedures and systems are
incorporated into training including compliance with ethical
business practices.PATIENT RELATED:Education:Assist other health
care members in providing patient specific detailed education
regarding adequacy measures where appropriate - Online Clearance
Monitoring (OLC) Adequacy Monitoring Program (AMP) Urea Kinetic
Modeling (UKM) and regarding disease process/access.Treatment:
- Welcome assigned patients and inquire as to their wellbeing
since their last treatment.
- Evaluate vascular access for patency.
- Obtain necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and
- Perform vascular access evaluation pre-treatment.
- Perform vascular access cannulation.
- Perform administration of Heparin as delegated or as allowed by
- Initiate dialysis treatment according to prescribed orders
including blood flow (QB) and dialysate flow (QD).
- Evaluate intradialytic problems and provide intervention as
prescribed by physician order or as directed.
- Monitor patients' response to dialysis therapy.
- Obtain vital signs prior to reinfusion; perform all relevant
functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment -
- Discontinue dialysis treatment according to established
- Evaluate patient prior to termination of venous access -
standing & sitting blood pressure.
- Obtain Hemostasis and apply appropriate dressings.
- Evaluate the patient prior to discharge.
- Perform and record Pre and Post dialysis evaluation weight and
vital signs with initial identification.
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients'
dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal;
treatment time; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are enabled
including Narrow Venous Limits (NVL) 160.
- Record accurate and timely information regarding vital signs
and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with
- Responsible for accurate documentation of information related
to patient treatment including completion of Hemodialysis Treatment
Sheet and if applicable progress notes.
- Report any significant information and/or change in patient
condition directly to the nurse supervisor.
- Observe patient and conduct machine safety checks according to
facility policy. - Report any change or unusual findings to the
- Perform and document any intervention for unusual patient
status and document patients' response to intervention.
- Evaluate patients' vascular access during treatment including
arterial and venous monitoring pressures provide appropriate
intervention as needed document and report any unusual findings to
the nurse supervisor.
- Obtain all prescribed laboratory testing and prepare specimens
for collection.INFECTION CONTROL SPECIALIZATION:
- Assists with facility QAI infection control audits.
- Acts as a change agent for infection control practices within
clinic. - Under the direction of the CM or designee monitors staff
and patient adherence to infection control practices.
- Reinforces new hire employee adherence to infection control
Policies and Procedures.
- Supports ongoing staff and patient engagement on infection
control practices under the direction of CM or designee for example
participation in patient lobby days and staff meetings to reinforce
infection control practice.
- Quarterly and under the direction of the CM reinforces patient
and staff adherence to infection control Policies and Procedures
through visual media such as posters flyers or bulletin
- Under the direction of the Education Dept. participates in
education response to internal and external facility surveys.
- Participates in and reinforces infection control education of
new patients and families under the direction of the CM or
- Maintain environmental integrity and aesthetics - ensure all
areas are safe and clean.
- Clean and disinfect dialysis machine surface chair equipment
and surrounding area between treatments according to facility
- Conduct all tasks necessary for preparation for dialysis
treatment and document where appropriate.
- Perform all required pretreatment dialysis machine alarm
testing including Pressure Holding (PHT).
- Initiate Solution Delivery System (SDS) system.
- Ensure that all blood spills are immediately cleaned with
appropriate disinfectant according to facility policy.
- Prepare organize and efficiently utilize supplies and equipment
to prevent wastage.RECORD KEEPING:
- Complete and document ongoing participation in Continuous
Quality Improvement (CQI) activities.
- Enters all treatment data into the designated clinical
application in an accurate and timely manner.
- Review treatment sheets for completeness ensure nursing
signatures are documented and ensure omitted entries are completed
or corrected where appropriate.
- Prepare initial patient chart for admission and compile
paperwork for appropriate placement in chart.
- Prepare lab requisitions for prescribed or stat Lab specimens
according to laboratory destination.
- Collect label appropriately prepare and store lab samples
according required laboratory specifications.
- Ensure collection of lab specimens by appropriate lab
courier.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness
test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara
Test Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company will
consider whether reasonable accommodations can be made.
- Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients facility staff and physicians. The
position requires travel between assigned facilities and various
locations within the community. Travel to regional Business Unit
and Corporate meetings may be required.
- The work environment is characteristic of a health care
facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels.
May be exposed to infectious and contagious
- The position provides direct patient care that regularly
involves heavy lifting and moving of patients and assisting with
ambulation. - Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provide
assistance. - This position requires frequent prolonged periods of
standing and the employee must be able to bend over. The employee
may occasionally be required to move with assistance machines and
equipment of up to 200 lbs. and may lift chemical and water
solutions of up to 30 lbs. up as high as 5 feet. - There is a
two-person assist program and material assist devices for the
heavier items.EDUCATION AND LICENSES:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. - Bachelor's degree
- Center for Medicaid/Medicare Services (CMS)-approved state
and/or national certification or must meet certification
requirements within the required state or CMS timeline.
- All appropriate state licensure education and training (if any)
- Demonstrated commitment to FMS culture values and customer
- Attendance and active participation in all applicable preceptor
training programs as established by the Regional Directors of
- Attends Fresenius and publicly offered skill-based training as
assigned by Clinical Manager.
- History of high performance as measured by no lower than a
commendable rating on reviews with no recent corrective actions.
-EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- At least five years patient care experience in a hospital
setting or a related facility preferred.
- Continued employment is dependent on successful completion of
the FMCNA dialysis training program and successful completion of
CPR certification. -EO/AA Employer:
IdentityFresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state
Keywords: FRESENIUS, Portland , Patient Care Technician 3-Preceptor HT PORTLAND, Professions , Portland, Maine
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!